In part one of a two-part episode, I speak with Miko Heinilä, Co-Founder of Kyrö Distillery. He gives me selected highlights from the history of the village of Isokyrö, including the bloody Battle of Napue. Bringing things into modern times, he explains the origins of Kyrö Distillery, the ups-and-downs of a start-up company and their future plans to become the biggest rye whisky producer.
Play the Podcast
Download an MP3 of The Bloody History of Isokyrö Village & the Origin of Kyrö Distillery
- Jauri – Lake (in Sámi language)
- Sisu – stoic determination, tenacity of purpose, grit, bravery, resilience
- Kuningan kivi – King’s Stone
- Rai rai (Rye rye) – Bottoms up or cheers!
- Gin gin – ‘Chin chin’ or cheers!