Download an MP3 of Conservation, Medication and Procreation. The Vet’s Life at Ähtäri Zoo
Guest: Heini Niinimäki, Zoological Director, Ähtäri Zoo
When talking to the Vet from Ähtäri Zoo in Finland, it is natural for talk to turn to the giant pandas Finland has recently brought to Ähtäri Zoo resort, . Heini explains that she has many different things to do in Ahtari Zoo, not only caring for snow pandas Lumi and Pyry. She cares for a wide variety of different animals, from the selection of Scandinavian animals and Nordic wildlife, to the growing collection of wild Asian animals and the petting zoo which features domesticated Finnish animals.
Heini also explains that she is driven by contributing to animal conservation in zoos and wildlife conservation in Finland and is proud to play a part in China reintroducing pandas into the wild – it’s not a coincidence that the logo of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) features giant pandas.
Listen to the podcast to hear Heini explain why many of the animals don’t like her (or vets in general). You will also hear her mention these animals in particular:
- Pikkupanda | Red panda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda
- Takin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takin
- Metsäpeura | Finnish forest reindeer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_forest_reindeer
- Kultafasaani | Golden Pheasant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_pheasant
- Suomenkarja | Finncattle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finncattle
As you can see, there is an alternative to visiting the zoo in Helsinki Finland, learn more at https://www.ahtarizoo.fi/index.php/en/